Honeycomb structures have the geometry of a honeycomb to allow the minimization of the amount of used material to reach minimal weight and minimal material cost. The geometry of honeycomb structures can vary widely but the common feature of all such structures is an array of hollow cells formed between thin vertical walls. Most often cells are hexagonal in shape. A honeycomb shaped structure provides reduced weight and relative high out-of-plane compression and shear properties. Honeycomb materials are widely used where flat or slightly curved surfaces are needed and their high strength-to-weight ratio is valuable.
Aluminum 3003 Commercial Grade
Aluminum Honeycomb is a lightweight core material offering excellent strength and corrosion resistance for industrial applications at low cost.
• Strong in compression and Shear
• High thermal and electrical conductivity
• Flame resistant
• Excellent moisture and corrosion resistance
• Resistant to rotting and corrosion
• Extremely Flat
• Good Weight/Strength ratio
Aluminum 5052 Aerospace Grade
Aluminum Honeycomb is a lightweight core material which offers superior strength and corrosion resistance over commercial grade aluminum honeycomb.
- Highly temperature resistant
- High thermal conductivity
- Flame resistant
- Excellent moisture and corrosion resistance
- Resistant to rotting
- Superior weight/strength ratio
Forms of supply
Samia Canada Honeycomb core is sold in three types:
- Expanded sheets (EX)
- Unexpanded slices (UX)
Our core is produced in standard with a foil thickness of 50, 60 and 70 microns (0.002″, 0.0023″ and 0.0028″) and cell sizes of 1/4″, 3/8″, 1/3″, 1/2″, and 3/4″
We can obtain different densities and properties by combining the foil thickess and the cell size. Therefore optimising the material to your needs.
- Aluminium alloy used: Serial 3000
- Cell size: 1/4″, 3/8″, 1/2″, 3/4″
- Density of the honeycomb (thickness of the aluminium foil and the cell size): from 20 kg/m3 to 80 kg/m3 (1,3 pcf to 5,2 pcf)
- Expanded sheet Width L and Length W tolerance: +/- 50 mm (+/-2″)
- Standard dimensions of the expanded sheets: 1220 x 2250 mm (48″ x 96″)
- Perforated P (or non-perforated NP): micro perforations allowing air flow between cells (for use under vacuum or decompression)
- Thickness T of the slice: from 5 mm minimum to 300 mm maximum (0.19″ – 12″)
- Cutting tolerance: +/- 0.1 mm (+/- 0.004″)
- Expanded or unexpanded
Custom made blocks are also available on specific request in order to reduce costs.